Friday, September 01, 2006

Ram Gopal Varma's "Nishabd"



Love stories and emotional relationships haven't exactly been Ram Gopal Varma's main area of interest, so when he decided to make an intense saga about an old man's obsession with a young girl in "Nishabd" it raised several eyebrows.

But Varma says that the film with Amitabh Bachchan wasn't a sudden decision. "It was an idea I was sleeping with for a long time. What fascinates me is how would it seem to place a man of Mr. Bachchan's character, demeanour, grace and image in such a position? The relationship with a young girl will look even more effective," Varma told us.

Varma doesn't deny that he has shied away from sex and love in most of his films.

"It could also have something to do with the genre of films I generally do. 'Nishabd' allowed me to go into areas I haven't visited before. But I wouldn't like to give it a pompous terminology like 'soul-searching'. I'm not equipped for that sort of an exercise.

"In 'Nishabd' I'm basically interested in capturing a conflict within a man between his feelings and his responsibilities. The girl is only a device to trigger off that conflict."

Right now, Varma is hogging the limelight for his two remakes - "Shiva" and "Sholay".

Excerpts from the Interview:

Why this sudden decision to make "Nishabd" with Amitabh Bachchan?

It wasn't a sudden decision. I had been talking to Mr. Bachchan about several projects. In fact, I had sounded him out about "Nishabd" a year back when the idea came to me. When we were both ready to work together again, we wondered which script to start with.

Unfortunately, all my plans with Mr. Bachchan went haywire because of his illness. Now I have his dates for "Sholay". But that's been delayed for various reasons. We used those dates for "Nishabd".

Why has "Sholay" been delayed?

Because it's a straight-on action film. I didn't want Mr. Bachchan to do anything strenuous after his illness.

I would never expect a film titled "Nishabd" from you.

See, it isn't a question of suddenly trying to prove I can do an intense love story. It was an idea I was sleeping with for a long time. People seem to think I'm doing an adaptation of "Lolita", which is about a middle-aged man's obsession with a 14-year-old girl.

What fascinates me is how would it seem to place a man of Mr. Bachchan's character, demeanour, grace and image in such a position? The relationship with a young girl will look even more effective. I feel emotions have nothing to do with age. What stops a man in that position of supreme success and respect from indulging in his feelings? Is it a sense of responsibility towards society and family? I wanted to look beyond those responsibilities.

I want to film a love story between a man of Mr. Bachchan's age and a very young girl, in an intense stylised way in a completely new narrative language. I want to create a language of love-expression that's never been tried before.

You've shied away from sex, even love in most of your films.

Yeah, it is possible. But that could also have something to do with the genre of films I generally do. "Nishabd" allowed me to go into areas I haven't visited before. But I wouldn't like to give it a pompous terminology like 'soul-searching'. I'm not equipped for that sort of an exercise. I just like to capture feelings.

For all my cynical talk, I feel I portray feelings and emotions in a way that's entirely mine. In "Nishabd" I'm basically interested in capturing a conflict within a man between his feelings and his responsibilities. The girl is only a device to trigger off that conflict.

You've chosen a new girl?

Her name is Jiya Khan. And please don't ask a stupid question like where did I find her. I didn't go on a girl hunt or something. I keep collecting pictures of actors and actresses who come to meet me. And then a particular face comes back to me when I'm scripting a character. Jiya is right for this part.

To my knowledge she has no experience in modelling or acting. I had met her a couple of years back. In fact, I was planning to cast her in a later production. Then "Nishabd" came along.

Is there a strong undercurrent of sexuality in "Nishabd"?

No love story can be complete without an undercurrent of sexuality. Because of the nature of the subject and its requirements, I'm excited about capturing Mr. Bachchan's expressions as never seen before.

Amit Roy, who shot "Sarkar" is the cinematographer. There are no songs this time. We completed "Nishabd" in one schedule.

You've just finished directing "Shiva" and then "Nishabd".

That's not really unusual. I never sit idle. The minute I finish a project, I immediately start something else.

You and Amitabh are doing a series of films together.

I think we're addicted to each other. And we're both in the mood to create poetry in "Nishabd".

Are you getting mellower?

No. This is my once-in-while moment of seriousness. I'll quickly go back to making "Bhoot" and "Kaun" before people start taking me seriously and start giving me awards.

No comments:

Rate this blog

Followers